Splunk Search

Can find a field value only when using a wildcard prefix

ilyar
Observer

Hello,

I have field name: let's call it - "foo" and a value I desire to add to my search - "bar".
When I execute a normal query, for example: 

index="main" sourcetype="blabla" foo="bar"

it won't find anything, although I know there are many events that have the field foo=bar
Alternatively, when I execute the following query:

index="main" sourcetype="blabla" foo="*bar"

I get the results I want. 

What causes the first search, which should work, to fail? Is that encoding issue?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share your events?

0 Karma

ilyar
Observer

Hi buddy, unfortunately not, it's sensitive data. I'm sure people had the same problem. I believe it has to do with encoding...

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you check what your job inspection said on those rows which contains word lispy?
0 Karma

kennetkline
Path Finder

Sounds like maybe a transforms/props issue.

If you are getting hits with the wildcard, I would believe there is a whitespace issue; (where a leading space or more exists in the  value.

0 Karma

ilyar
Observer

Hi! I tried to search with a numerous amouns of spaces, yet it cannot find the value. Using the wildcard works, however. 
Maybe you have an idea as to how to confirm that?

thanks!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index="main" sourcetype="blabla"
| rex "foo=\"(?<characters>.*)bar\""
| fields characters
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...