Splunk Search

Calculate error percentage of HTTPStatus

kris1733
Loves-to-Learn

index=sample(Consumer="prod") ServiceName="product.services.prd.*"
| stats count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 400 AND HTTPStatus < 500)) AS 'fourxxErrors', count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 500 AND HTTPStatus < 600)) AS 'fivexxErrors', count AS 'TotalRequests'
| eval 'fourxxPercentage' = if('TotalRequests' > 0, ('fourxxErrors' / 'TotalRequests') * 100, 0), 'fivexxPercentage' = if('TotalRequests' > 0, ('fivexxErrors' / 'TotalRequests') * 100, 0)
| table "fourxxPercentage", "fivexxPercentage"

The result is showing as 0 for both fields inside the table "fourxxPercentage", "fivexxPercentage". Actually, fourxxErrors and fivexxErrors count are greater than 0. Is that because it's not showing the decimal values?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

I don't have any 500's in my _internal index (this is not a flex...just a fresh install before I have had a chance to break anything).  So this is what my results look like:

no_500.png

Maybe for the timerange you don't have any 5xx errors?  If I flub the query a little more in my environment and change the boolean criteria a bit in the SPL to be >=300<400 (see highlighted section) then it works correctly for me:

_JP_0-1696964434755.png

0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

Remove all the ticks/quotes from the field names in your SPL - for what you are doing they aren't necessary.  I only quote my field names if they have any negative space characters.  Once I did that I was able to "fake" your search in my environment and get results:

index=_internal status=*
| rename status AS HTTPStatus
| stats count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 400 AND HTTPStatus < 500)) AS fourxxErrors, count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 500 AND HTTPStatus < 600)) AS fivexxErrors, count AS TotalRequests
| eval fourxxPercentage = if(TotalRequests > 0, (fourxxErrors / TotalRequests) * 100, 0), fivexxPercentage = if(TotalRequests > 0, (fivexxErrors / TotalRequests) * 100, 0)
| table fourxxPercentage, fivexxPercentage

Also, I just added this at the beginning to turn misc data in _internal into events that "look" like yours for this example purpose:

index=_internal status=*

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@_JP is correct that single quotes have special meaning in SPL.  Have you tested

index=_internal status=*
| stats count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 400 AND HTTPStatus < 500)) AS fourxxErrors, count(eval(HTTPStatus >= 500 AND HTTPStatus < 600)) AS fivexxErrors, count AS TotalRequests

Can you share sample output from this?

kris1733
Loves-to-Learn

@_JP Hi, the query which you shared me works same like the one which I shared. The percentage values are showing 0. Is it because we need to add decimal values after 0. I tried adding 

(fourxxErrors / TotalRequests) * 100, 2)

instead of 

(fourxxErrors / TotalRequests) * 100, 0)

But no use. Do you have any other idea?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...