Splunk Search

Anybody seen search/indexer performance degradation after installing Meltdown patches on Linux

leonrtx
Explorer

Hello

Has anybody seen any indexer/search performance degradation after installing the Meltdown patches on Linux? Anybody willing to share some performance before and after stats?

Tags (1)

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

See this blog post for the latest Splunk communication and test results: https://www.splunk.com/blog/2018/02/12/meltdown-patch-and-the-impact-on-infrastructure-supporting-sp...

0 Karma

mendesjo
Path Finder

My Splunk rep told me that Splunk cloud was patched (we are still on prem), and they were testing for performance. Anyone know if WIndows or Linux Splunk agents are compatible with Microsoft or Linux OS patches for Meltdown/Spectre ?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The agents should not notice the difference as this is an OS level (and potentially a patch at the CPU level), as long as the OS functions as normal the agent should continue to function as normal...(with the potential performance decrease of course)

0 Karma

mendesjo
Path Finder

Agreed, however, Anti-Virus software as an example is not all compatible, some work other require upgrades. I grant you that a Splunk agent doesn't behave like an anti-virus/malware software but just want to be sure before we start patching and find an issue with the OS patches and Splunk agents.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...