Splunk Search

After restoring a CSV based index, why are searches using fields or wildcards not returning results?

szaboszilard
Path Finder

Hi

I have a big big problem. I restored a csv based index. (MS Exchange mail track log)
The restored data is big, over 100GB.

When I'm starting a search specified by fields or "*data*" the search does not find anything. (The search process is very fast)
I'm exported some restored data, and I executed an grep command on it and found what I'm looking for.

Any idea, why I can't search in Splunk via fields or wildcard?

Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are probably running in to this well-known problem:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

The solution is to put this into fields.conf in the same directory that you have your field extractions (where props.conf is):

[MyField]
INDEXED_VALUE = false

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are probably running in to this well-known problem:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

The solution is to put this into fields.conf in the same directory that you have your field extractions (where props.conf is):

[MyField]
INDEXED_VALUE = false

szaboszilard
Path Finder

On left side at field list i can see the total unique fields count and the top 10 fields value.
I try to select one field value from field list, but the result is the same. No results, but is it in the index.

I can't understand why not works.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

There isn't any stanza problem, my search was running in verbose mode. So switch back to verbose mode, I assume you're in fast mode now.

Read the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.6/Search/Changethesearchmode to learn more about the search modes.

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

just to clarify, you can see the data in splunk looking only at the index, right? if so:

• check if you are searching using smart or verbose mode while searching.
  • check if you have the props stanza for the sourcetype assigned to the events. (run this ./splunk btool props list --debug)
------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

szaboszilard
Path Finder

There isn't any stanza problem, my search was running in verbose mode.
When i click to an event i can see the correct fields.
When i use a field in search, the process ends very fast without result.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...