Splunk Enterprise

Unforseen Error during upgrade from enterprise 8.2.9 to 9.0.4.1?

JAvnaim
Explorer

Hello All,

I receive the following error after starting Splunk enterprise for the first time after an upgrade from 8.2.9 to 9.0.4.1 ; otherwise no other problem seen prior:

Exception: <class 'UnicodeDecodeError'>, Value: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0: invalid start byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1212, in main
parseAndRun(argsList)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1067, in parseAndRun
retVal = cList.getCmd(command, subCmd).call(argList, fromCLI = True)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 293, in call
return self.func(args, fromCLI)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/control_api.py", line 35, in wrapperFunc
return func(dictCopy, fromCLI)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/_internal.py", line 189, in firstTimeRun
migration.autoMigrate(args[ARG_LOGFILE], isDryRun)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/migration.py", line 3379, in autoMigrate
migrate_add_default_dashboard_xml_version_1_1(dryRun)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/migration.py", line 3131, in migrate_add_default_dashboard_xml_version_1_1
dashboard_contents = f.read()
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/codecs.py", line 322, in decode
(result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0: invalid start byte

Any help would / pointers would be appreciated!

~J

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ThiloMüller
Engager

We had the same issue when migrating from 8.2.11 to 9.0.5.

I found a file (with the unix "file" command) with "different" settings in the directory that was processed before this "unforeseen error" occurred, in our case the effected file was:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/ForensicInvestigator/default/data/ui/views/portsservices.xml: HTML document, Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

After converting this file (by "iconv -f UTF-16LE -t UTF-8") the command "/opt/splunk/bin/splunk start" executed without error.

glc_slash_it
Path Finder

Hi,

have you tried to repeat the installation of 9.0.4.1?

0 Karma

srinivasmanikan
Engager

i tried couple of time for the same error but seen the same error. after that i tried above work around  

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ForensicInvestigator/default/data/ui/views

iconv -f UTF-16LE -t UTF-8 portsservices.xml -o portsservices1.xml

i removed the old file and renamed the portsservices1.xml to portsservices.xml and it worked for me 

after that i started the splunk everything is working as expected.

0 Karma

JAvnaim
Explorer

I did not; I reverted back to 8.2.9 and restored the config back up. All is well now. Eventually will need to upgrade to 9x though.

0 Karma

glc_slash_it
Path Finder

What kind of Splunk instance is this you're trying to update? (HF, UF, Indexer, SH?)

Have you tried to submit a ticket to Splunk support? They can definitely help you in this upgrade situation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...