Splunk Enterprise

SPL optimization for timechart

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

I have a dashboard to show disk read/write data for a server on a area chart. I have wrote below SPL for the same 

host="Server1" index="performance_data" instance=*: source="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk"
| eval instance = substr(instance, 1, len(instance)-1)
| eval Host_Instance = 'host'."-".'instance'
| timechart eval(round(avg('Avg._Disk_Queue_Length'),2)) AS "Avg. Disk Queue Length" BY Host_Instance limit=0

When I run this SPL for a weeks time and I have the disk data collected at every 30 s interval, the dashboard takes 10-15 mins to load. 

My Splunk instance is in Splunk managed cloud. Still it loads very slow. Is there any issue with the SPL or I have to use some optimization technique here to improve performance?

0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

HI @santosh_sshanbh,

Looking at your initial search I would suggest the following to improve performance:

1 - Using wildcards as prefix is not that efficient (instance=*:). As exposed in the docs "the search must look at every string to determine if the end of the string matches what you specify after the asterisk" (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/Search/Wildcards#Avoid_using_wildcards_as_prefixes)

2 - I suggest you to use the "fields" command, so you can restrict your search to use only the fields you need on your results.

| fields _time, host, instance, Avg._Disk_Queue_Length
0 Karma

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

Thanks alonsocaio for your response.

I have changed SPL as per your comments as below

host="Server1" index="performance_data" instance IN ("C:","D:","E:","F:","G:","H:") source="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk"
| fields _time, host, instance, Avg._Disk_Queue_Length
| eval instance = substr(instance, 1, len(instance)-1)
| eval Host_Instance = 'host'."-".'instance'
| timechart eval(round(avg('Avg._Disk_Queue_Length'),2)) AS "Avg. Disk Queue Length" BY Host_Instance limit=0

But still the SPL took around 10 mins to load and the chart keeps on dancing while it loads. Even if I just fetch the events using base search and without any further command after |, still it takes significant amount of time.

Job takes "This search has completed and has returned 7 results by scanning 9,184,627 events "

Is this normal for these many count of events? The index has data for various sourcetypes and its size is 700+ GB. Could there be any problem with index or need additional IX in the cluster. Currently there are 4 indexers in cloud deployment which is managed by Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...