Splunk Enterprise Security

Why is variable Substitution not working in drill down searches?

warsaw
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have a correlation search where 'dest' field is present, and in drilldown search I have mentioned 

| search dest="$dest$"

however when i click on contributing events and the drill down search opens up with same query 

| search dest="$dest$"

instead of the actual value of the 'dest' field, why doesn't this work?

Anyone faced this issue?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you assigned the clicked field dest to the token $dest$ in the drilldown section of the dashboard? Using the $dest$ in the subsequent search is using a TOKEN called dest, not a field called dest from a previous search.

<drilldown>
  <set token="dest">$row.dest$</set>
</drilldown>

0 Karma

warsaw
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@bowesmana no, actually this is not a dashboard drill down, it's drill down search in notable events of a correlation search.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like:

| search dest="$row.dest|n$"
0 Karma

warsaw
Loves-to-Learn Lots

No, this is not working, when i click on drill down this search appears 

| search dest="$row.dest|n$"

not with the actual value. 

0 Karma

mdicenzo
Explorer

I am struggling with the same thing, have you resolved this issue?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What have you tried?

0 Karma

mdicenzo
Explorer

So originally I tried to have this as the correlation search 

index=o365 sourcetype="mscs:azure:eventhub" "body.operationName"="Risky user" "body.properties.riskLevel"=high | rename body.properties.userDisplayName AS Display_Name | rename body.properties.userPrincipalName AS Email
| stats values(body.operationName) AS Operation_Name, count AS result BY Display_Name | eval dd="index=o365 sourcetype=mscs:azure:eventhub body.operationName=\"User Risk Detection\" body.properties.riskLevel=high \"body.properties.userDisplayName\"=".Display_Name

The drill down was then search $dd$. The problem is that the value in Display_Name needs quote for the search to work and I cannot seem to get that to work properly for .Display_Name.

If I have a correlation search of 

index=o365 sourcetype="mscs:azure:eventhub" "body.operationName"="Risky user" "body.properties.riskLevel"=high | rename body.properties.userDisplayName AS Display_Name | rename body.properties.userPrincipalName AS Email
| stats values(body.operationName) AS Operation_Name, count AS result BY Display_Name 

And a drill down of 

index=o365 sourcetype=mscs:azure:eventhub body.operationName="User Risk Detection" body.properties.riskLevel=high "body.properties.userDisplayName"=$Display_Name$

will that work?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...