Splunk Enterprise Security

What is the best way to build searches and alerting in a Hyper-V environment in which VMs pull MAC address ?

gg74
Engager

What is the best way to deal with building searches and alerting in a Hyper-V environment in which VMs pull MAC address from a pool controlled by the cluster nodes?  Is setting all of my VMs to use static MAC addresses best practice (this is a large undertaking and would require maintenance) or is there a better way to do this?  Should I rely on another variable to track these assets?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want a deterministic way to track assets, don't use a non-deterministic way of identifying the assets.

0 Karma

gg74
Engager

Is there a better variable to use than the MAC address?  Something that doesn't rely on manual intervention to set?  Is the GUID or device name the standard?  Just looking options I may not be aware of.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends how your assets are set up - often a qualified host name is unique (enough) in your environment to distinguish between different hosts.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...