Splunk Dev

Simple django binding app failed to show template

ryu_kahou
Explorer

I'm working on a app by django binding. It works fine on my windows server.
But on CentOS server when I click a nav menu the following error happens.

"The path '/ja-JP/dj/redirector//home' was not found"

Very basic error. Links to XML views works.

I installed Splunk on CentOS with rpm and I can import and search data on it.
Maybe something is wrong with Django, Python or Web Framework, but I don't know how to check it.
Please give me some hint to make djanto binding work. Thanks.

Tags (4)

ryu_kahou
Explorer

I found out why. For anyone with the same problem here is my answer.
In ${SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/web_service.log there is a error says:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/.splunkdjrc_splunkweb'

If you read the source code of root.py in /opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/
you will find it tries to create config file .splunkdjrc_splunkweb if not exists.
But my framework directory is dr-xr-xr-x so appdo.py (called by root.py) failed to create a new config file.
It is simple to fix it. Give splunk write permission and restart splunkweb.

chmod u+x framework
splunk restart splunkweb

I don't know why splunk user don't have the write permission to framework directory. I installed splunk by rpm according to the following page. Maybe something is wrong with the rpm on CentOS 6.5 64bit.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Installation/InstallonLinux

StephenMarwick
Explorer

Additionally, the whole framework directory tree needs permissions to allow Splunk to create the .pyo files for each .py file.

This happened to me because of how I was copying the whole tree for testing purposes.

0 Karma

mattparlette
Engager

This fixed the same problem for me, but I think you meant:
chmod u+w framework
Rather than u+x

0 Karma

MaverickT
Communicator

I know it is a long shot, that can be far away from solving your problem, but... Did you generated python project files? Before building django application you have to run:

./splunkdj createapp your_app_name

More info on this: http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-djangobindings/SP-CAAAEMS

0 Karma

ryu_kahou
Explorer

Yes, I created it that way.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...