Splunk Dev

How to write and execute python script for XML file ?

adityaanand
Explorer

Hi,
I have to monitor a directory which contains XML file.
I need to add an additional <tag> in xml file whenever a new file comes and before file is indexed by splunk.
i.e. whenever a file come a script should be run that add a <tag>. Then after it is indexed.
How can achieve through python script?
Is anything required to install to run the script?

XML File look like :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <presentation>
      <lesson>
        <part src="0301p.flv" breadcrumb="This is example text1">
          <cuepoints>
            <cuepoint time="0:01" preload="priority" tooltip="Demo 3.1(A)" jumpable="yes">
              <tween mode="instant" time="1" />
              <slide flv="demos/0301d1.flv" demooffsetx="-180" demooffsety="60" type="demo"></slide>
              <presenter />
              <controls />
            </cuepoint>
          </cuepoints>
         </part>
       </lesson>
    </presentation>

I need to add  <date>...</date> just below <presentation> tag.

I have no idea how will i proceed?

Regards,
Aditya

Tags (2)
0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

You can write python script, but I wouldn't tie it to Splunk Index process. You need to tie it to the Process/script which puts the file in there.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Writing the script is straightforward. Create it as you would any stand-alone python program with the understanding that everything written to stdout will be indexed by Splunk. You could have the script read a file line-by-line and write the lines to stdout with your extra line added at the proper place.

I don't know how to have the script execute whenever a new file arrives. The best I can think of is to create a scripted input that runs at some interval and have the script search for new files that have arrived since the last interval.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...