Splunk Dev

How to rex a value in a request uri with a variable value in the middle?

mark_groenveld
Path Finder

We are looking to provide the last part of a request uri that identifies a file name and has a client identifier variable in the middle of the uri.

Sample uri request:
GET /someportal/rest/product/v1_0/clientidentifier/filename/fnm_123456789abcd.png HTTP/1.1

The underlined text is the value that I need to extract.  Note the space after the .png.

My current attempt is this:
index=index source=/source sourcetype=sourcetype | rex field=_raw "GET /someportal/rest/product/v1_0/*/filename/(?<FileName>\d+)"

Please let me know how far off I am.  Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You were close

| rex "GET \/someportal\/rest\/product\/v1_0\/.*\/filename\/(?<FileName>\S+)"

You should escape slashes, the asterisk is a greedy match but needs an any character preceding it, and the filename should be \S for any non-white-space ("note the space after the .png")

regex101.com is a good place to try out regex - it doesn't get it exactly right when treating backslahes, but it is pretty close https://regex101.com/r/fKABZf/1 

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You were close

| rex "GET \/someportal\/rest\/product\/v1_0\/.*\/filename\/(?<FileName>\S+)"

You should escape slashes, the asterisk is a greedy match but needs an any character preceding it, and the filename should be \S for any non-white-space ("note the space after the .png")

regex101.com is a good place to try out regex - it doesn't get it exactly right when treating backslahes, but it is pretty close https://regex101.com/r/fKABZf/1 

mark_groenveld
Path Finder

That worked.  Many thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...