Security

Query information

rballan2
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi,

I have a UNIX server Solaris 8 that ac/behave like a Splunk Proxy server for 2 other UNIX servers Solaris 8.

In other words the 2 Solaris servers send the syslog file to the UNIX Solaris Proxy server.

I am trying to create a query that will shows the events coming from the 2 UNIX Solaris 8 servers.

I run the below query for example:

index=nix* serverproxy*
| eval Status=if(like(source, "%FirstUNIXSolaris8%"), 1, 0)

I am not getting any event that will show the FirstUNIX Solaris8 name/hostname.

Please any suggestion how to create the specific query ?

Thanks, Regards.

Roberto

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do your events look like once they are indexed in splunk? Presumably, host is the proxy server and source is the syslog file? What other fields have been extracted?

0 Karma

rballan2
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Below is an example of Event when I run the query:  index=nix* Proxyservername*

Source is /var/adm/messages and /var/log/secure (UNIX LOGS).

Selected fields are:

host

index

process

source

sourcetype

tag

12/13/21
6:15:01.000 AM Column icon

Dec 13 01:15:01 PROXYserver CROND[15913]: (flaradm) CMD (cd /vol00/ServerMgmt/Deploy_script/CURRENT/utils/UvScan_DATs/ ; scp *.dat root@PROXYservr:/usr/local/uvscan/ )

host = Proxyserver
index = nixlogsec
process = CROND
source = /var/log/messages
sourcetype = syslog

12/13/21
6:15:01.000 AM Column icon

Dec 13 01:15:01 PROXYserver CROND[15913]: (flaradm) CMD (cd /vol00/ServerMgmt/Deploy_script/CURRENT/utils/UvScan_DATs/ ; scp *.dat root@PROXYservr:/usr/local/uvscan/ )

host = Proxyserver
index = nixlogsec
process = CROND
source = /var/log/secure
sourcetype = linux_secure
tag = os tag = unix

12/12/21
1:31:33.000 PM Column icon

Dec 12 08:31:33 PROXYserver root: [ID 702911 local1.info] ITSEC : UVSCAN : [uvscan check failed]

host = PROXYservr.lmtas.com
index = nixlogsec
process = root
source = /var/adm/messages
sourcetype = syslog
tag = error

12/10/21
9:44:31.000 PM Column icon

Dec 10 16:44:31 PROXYserver scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] ASC: 0x32 (no defect spare location available), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x9d

host = PROXYservr.lmtas.com
index = nixlogsec
process = scsi
source = /var/adm/messages
sourcetype = syslog

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To me, it doesn't look like there is anything in the event that identifies which server is sending the syslog file to the proxy server. Unless you can see something?

0 Karma

rballan2
Loves-to-Learn Lots

You are correct, I do not see it either.

We are checking/verifying why we do not see any information that identifies which server (there are 2

UNIX server that are sending data to the Proxy server) is sending the syslog file to the proxy server.

I will update the "query"/messages  as soon as I have the information.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...