Security

Can you change permissions on an executed savedsearch?

nick405060
Motivator

I have a dashboard that loadjobs a scheduled savedsearch. I needed to grant dashboard access to a new role, so I added permissions for that role both to the dashboard and to the savedsearch. But I got a Error in 'SearchOperator:loadjob': Permission denied. Cannot access artifacts of job_id message when I accessed the dashboard as that role. I forced the savedsearch to run again ahead of schedule and it fixed the error. Does changing permissions on a savedsearch really not affect permissions for the actual past jobs ran?

Is there a way to do this without manually rerunning to force the permissions change?

I confirmed that a reboot still does not propagate the new permissions down to the formerly ran jobs.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The easiest way to do this is to click on Activity -> Jobs, then search for your job and click on the right-turn arrow icon that is the Share function. This will pop open a dialog that says something like TTL extended to 7 days and permissions changed to global.

nick405060
Motivator

But if it's a scheduled search, not one that you just manually executed, then you don't have the option to click any right-turn arrow

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Scheduled searches should show, but by default, the artifacts are reaped in 1 hour, so most executed searches don't hang around for long.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Got it. This will work for my use case, but still isn't a solution if you wanted to apply changed permissions on a scheduled savedsearch to its past jobs, without making those results global. Upvoted though

0 Karma

Laezylion
Loves-to-Learn

Hello There !

I have a similar use case : I'm setting up savedsearches over night (heavy requests on a year) with a ttl of 24H.

I'm then loading them using a ladjob command. Works pretty well.

Now, I have to share theses results.

Is it possible to set the rights on the saved artifact differently than on the original data ?

like :  "the index is for administrators only, but the results is read for everyone" ?

If so, how can I set this ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...