Security

Blacklist events whose "Message" field contains a specific value "healthcheck" is not working.

aswinkumar6

I'm using a AWS setup with ELB sending constant healthcheck messages to my apache server. splunk is indexed to capture access logs. 37% of my access logs are captured with this unwanted healthcheck data. I wanted to blacklist this incoming data so I have added below configurations to splunkds inputs.conf.Below configuration is not working even after splunkds restart.

[monitor://]
blacklist1 = Response_code=200 && "healthcheck"

Please provide me solution on how the blacklisting of incoming traffic with response_code=200 and message="healthcheck" be configured.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

aswinkumar6

Hi Giuseppe,

As I'm using AWS setup, ELB is checking for server availablity and healthcheck logs are consuming more data.This is unwanted data .

I want do not want any incoming message with "ELB-HealthChecker/2.0" and Response_Code=200 in splunk indexes.

Below log message I want to filter

10.9x.xx.xx - - [31/May/2020:00:05:32 -0500] "GET /healthcheck HTTP/1.1" Response_Code=200 Bytes=26 "-" "ELB-HealthChecker/2.0" Response_Time=150

what is the correct regex and steps to do this?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aswinkumar6,
blacklist in monitor stanzas (not in windos wineventlog stanzas) is related only to filenames not to events.

See my answer to your previous question https://answers.splunk.com/answers/824761/what-are-ways-to-optimize-splunk-license-usage.html .

As I said, you have to find the correct regex to filter your data (if you share some samples I cal help you) and then put on your indexers or (if present) on your Heavy Forwarders, the following files (this is an example of regex to define with your logs):

In props.conf:

[my_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-null= setnull

in transforms.conf:

[setnull]
REGEX = message\=healthcheck
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

(if in the discarding events there the string message=healthcheck)

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...