Reporting

Trigger a PDF via the command line

vincesesto
Communicator

Hello,

I would like to create a script that would trigger a pdf creation of a dashboard. I understand how to create a pdf and send via a saved search, but I would like to use a script to perform the same function.

I am having a little trouble understanding how the pdf renderer works and cannot find any documentation that would describe how to do this...Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards Vince

shrtando

Hi,
I have exactly same requirement where create a dashboard and schedule PDF delivery for that.
I am new to splunk REST API concepts. Can you please explain the script mentioned here
what is PDF Trigger here? Is it an alert with name whatever_alert?
what is ScheduledView_mypdf, it also looks like an alert ?

Where is whatever_alert used in the script?
!/bin/bash
curl -k -u admin:password https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/search/saved/searches/_ScheduledView__mypdf/dispatch -d trigger_actions=1
How does splunk server know that whatever_alert needs to be called for this ScheduledView_mypdf?

I need to do all these using Splunk Java SDK. Any step by step instruction on how to do this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Karma

Kyle_Jackson
Explorer

This works!

PDF TRIGGER

[whatever_alert]
action.script = 1
action.script.filename = whatever_pdf_trigger.sh
cron_schedule = */10 * * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -2m@m
dispatch.latest_time = now
displayview = flashtimeline
enableSched = 1
counttype = number of events
relation = greater than
quantity = 0
search = index=ops | head 2

PDF

[_ScheduledView__mypdf]
action.email = 1
action.email.maxtime = 60m
action.email.paperorientation = portrait
action.email.papersize = letter
action.email.pdfview = mypdf
action.email.sendpdf = 1
action.email.to = your_email@youraddress.com
action.email.ttl = 10
cron_schedule = */5 * * * *
description = scheduled search for view name=mypdf
dispatch.earliest_time = 1
dispatch.latest_time = 2
enableSched = 0
is_visible = 0
search = | noop

Script:

!/bin/bash
curl -k -u admin:password https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/search/saved/searches/_ScheduledView__mypdf/dispatch -d trigger_actions=1

Kyle_Jackson
Explorer

If that user expires because they leave the company, then what? Is there a caveat to using admin?

0 Karma

chris
Motivator

It might be a good idea to use a different user than admin. If you do the url changes to:
https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/my_user/search/saved/searches/_ScheduledView__mypdf/dispatch -d trigger_actions=1

0 Karma

wlouisharris

Very nice - this works great.

0 Karma

vincesesto
Communicator

one more try to see if anyone has any ideas?

0 Karma

vincesesto
Communicator

Sorry, just to clarify this a bit further, the view I have set up is complex and has a lot of graphs, etc. So it is not something that I can run as a search and then use sendemail. I am wanting to generate the pdf from the html page and then forward this pdf onto an email address, similar to using a scheduled search but I need to be able to trigger it from a script

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...