Reporting

Daylight savings vs scheduled search fun.

Lucas_K
Motivator

So its just gone to daylight savings in my time zone (AEDT - Australian Eastern daylight time GMT + 11)

So bug #1. This timezone doesn't exist inside splunk (4.3.4 still!) but that is besides the point.

So i've manually changed my time zone to GMT +11 (sol.islands/new cal) (I'm in Melbourne australia!) for the admin user.

My problem is now all the scheduled searches show UTC time. Prior to doing this they were all correctly displayed localised EST times (GMT +10) just running 1 hour late.

Does anyone know how I can have my admin/robot/scheduled job account with correct TZ defined in my user-prefs.conf AND get the searches and reports page to correctly reflect this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Lucas_K
Motivator

Ok the solution is not to use splunk tz setting at all and change the tz in the splunk user on the OS itself.

ie. .bash_profile
TZ=Australia/Melbourne
export PATH TZ

An issue remains that users can't set their own timezones that will honor daylight savings (if they differ to the tz that the splunk user runs under).

View solution in original post

Lucas_K
Motivator

Ok the solution is not to use splunk tz setting at all and change the tz in the splunk user on the OS itself.

ie. .bash_profile
TZ=Australia/Melbourne
export PATH TZ

An issue remains that users can't set their own timezones that will honor daylight savings (if they differ to the tz that the splunk user runs under).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...