Monitoring Splunk

Monitor for remote folder

keekkenen
Engager

Hi all,

I am newbie in splunk, please help me to find correct solution. For example, I have two PC, the first PC with installed splunk and the second PC is server with log directory. Can I create monitor for server log directory ? If it possible, how make it correctly ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

keekkenen
Engager

Thanks for answer, I got it. I think using the universal forwarder is the better way in my situation.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Yes, you can. The how depends a bit on what OS each machine is running. But the basic approach would be to somehow share that log directory over the network and then either mount that share on the Splunk server and point a Splunk monitor input at the mounted share, or point a Splunk monitor input directly at the share path (e.g. \servername\share for typical windows SMB shares).

An alternative would be to install a Splunk universal forwarder on the system where the log is located, have that UF monitor the log locally and forward to the Splunk Enterprise server.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...