Monitoring Splunk

Can Splunk send a file as attachment without reading the content or data in the file ?

vchennuri
Engager

Can Splunk send a file as attachment without reading the content or data in the file

0 Karma

vchennuri
Engager

A file is generated every day having data of 10 to 20 lines in a location with the difference in file name. Can splunk read the data in generated file and send the file as an email alert whenever that new file is generated ?

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

Sort of...

You would monitor the location the files are produced:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Data/Monitorfilesanddirectorieswithinputs.conf

You would create a search looking for new events from the input you just created.

Assuming your inputs, timestamps, and timezones are set correctly, any new events would indicate a new file.

In which case, you would schedule a search every X minutes, configure the email to generate a single email, and attach the search results.

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

I dont know of any way for Splunk to attach a non-search produced file to an email using the standard "Send Email" alert action.

This can be accomplished by creating an alert action, which could send an email and attach a document:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Alert/Configuringscriptedalerts

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Send it where? What is your use case?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...