Knowledge Management

Splunk AWS inspector errors

arlombar
Explorer

I am getting the below error in the splunk_ta_aws_inspector.log:

level=ERROR pid=1042 tid=MainThread logger=splunk_ta_aws.modinputs.inspector pos=util.py:call:163 | | message="Failed to execute function=run, error=Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/splunktalib/common/util.py", line 160, in call
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/inspector/init.py", line 53, in run
do_run()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/inspector/
init.py", line 30, in _do_run
aiconf.AWSInspectorConf, "aws_inspector", logger)
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/common/ta_aws_common.py", line 136, in get_configs
tasks = conf.get_tasks()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/inspector/aws_inspector_conf.py", line 60, in get_tasks
_cleanup_checkpoints(tasks, config)
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/inspector/aws_inspector_conf.py", line 119, in _cleanup_checkpoints
internals = store.get_state("internals")
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/splunktalib/state_store.py", line 155, in get_state
state = json.load(jsonfile)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/
init.py", line 291, in load
**kw)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/
init_.py", line 339, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 382, in raw_decode
raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

I have this exact same app/setup in two lower environments which working just fine and im getting data. Today when I logged in I noticed we are not longer receiving AWS logs in my production environment and this is the only error I can find. Again, I have not changed any configurations from the Splunk side and this was working the night prior. Any idea what would be causing the object error?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

FraserC1
Path Finder

I'm going to answer this for anyone in the future that has this issue, below is the recommendation from Splunk support on how to fix this issue.

I first disabled the aws_inspector input then made the changes and re-enabled it.

This sorted my issue and I was able to get inspector data in to Splunk.

The recommendation is to backup and delete the file labeled internals inside the checkpoint directory at:

/$SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/aws_inspector

The issue is a checkpoint file has been created which contains nothing which is trying to be read.

Restart splunkd after performing this task.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...