Knowledge Management

Scraping Start Times

Regleston

I am trying to extract the time taken for a process to execute from my logs. This is they syntax of the log:

Time taken: 1.422 seconds

I have been through the message boards on here and tried dozens of different suggestions from similar issues but none of the rex/regex combinations have worked and just given me the time taken. Can someone please help me out?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

try this anywhere:

| makeresults count=1
| eval data = "Time taken: 1.422 seconds;;;Time taken: 1.712 seconds;;;Time taken: 1.333 seconds;;;Time taken: 1.290 seconds"
| makemv delim=";;;" data
| mvexpand data
| rename COMMENT as "the above generates data below is the solution" 
| rex field=data "taken:\s+(?<time_taken>[^\s]+)"

hope it helps

0 Karma

Regleston

(Previous messages got removed for some reason)
That works great with your sample data but with my base search does nothing.

My search query:
index= host= source=//mls-ingest-logs/ingest-mls-summary*.log| rex field=data "taken:\s+(?[^\s]+)"

Log Event:
host = source = //ingest-mls-summary.log sourcetype = ingest-mls-summary

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

the field data is in my example, you can remove it for your query
.... | rex field=_raw "taken:\s+(?<time_taken>[^\s]+)"

0 Karma

Regleston

Oh the first thing after the search made no difference was to switch it to "_raw", just reverted it back for the comment.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

ok, the query i provided first is a dummy query that creates fake data and shows that the regex works

try it top make sure its fine.
on your real data, use this:
index=YOUR_INDEX_NAME_HERE host=YOUR_HOST_NAME_HERE source=//mls-ingest-logs/ingest-mls-summary*.log| rex field=_raw "taken:\s+(?[^\s]+)"

0 Karma

Regleston

It seems to work great with your sample data but for some reason when I add it to the end of my base search I get the same result as I would if I didn't add it.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

share your base search and a sample full event

0 Karma

Regleston

index=app_hdfs host=FQHN source+/opt/hdp/dna-sqoop-ingest/log/mls-ingest-logs/ingest-mls-summary*.log | rex field=data "taken:\s+(?[^\s]+)"

host = FQHN source = /opt/hdp/dna-sqoop-ingest/log/mls-ingest-logs/ingest-mls-summary.log sourcetype = ingest-mls-summary

0 Karma

pkeenan87
Communicator

Try this regex:

Time\staken:\s(?[^\s]+)

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Do you want to extract the value of time (1.422) from the logs?

0 Karma

Regleston

Yes, I'm just trying to get what every time shows in that area.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...