Knowledge Management

How to group first 5 line of similar stack trace across request?

ravimishrabglr
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I need a query to group similar stack trace across request (CR- Correlation Id) in a specific format:

Query:

index="myIndex" source="/mySource" "*exception*"
| rex field=_raw "(?P<firstFewLinesOfStackTrace>(.*\n){1,5})"
| eval date=strftime(_time, "%d-%m-%Y")
| head 3
| reverse
| table date, CR, count, firstFewLinesOfStackTrace

Format:

Date CR Count Log
01/12/22 CR_1
CR-2
2 StackTrace1
StackTrace2
StackTrace3
02/12/22 CR_1
CR-2
CR-3
3 DiffStackTrace1
DiffStackTrace2
DiffStackTrace3

Am not sure how to group these logs as each stack trace have _date as unique identifier, also how to get the result in above format (what to use stats, eventstats, table, etc.) pls help, thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ravimishrabglr - I don't know the logs exactly here but I'll try to provide an approach that should work with what you are trying to solve:

• As you said, "group similar stack trace across request " + "each stack trace have _date as unique identifier"
    • First, you need a common field between all the traces (here, events) that you want to group.
    • Now that you may have it already in the logs, or you may need to extract it with something like the rex command.
  • Once you have the above field you can use the stats command.
    • | stats count, values(<any-other-field>), latest(<any-other-field>), ..... BY <common-field-that-you-found-in-above-step> 
    •  
  • BTW, you could have a combination of fields that make the grouping instead of one field, you can use them as comma separate in the above.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...