Knowledge Management

HELP with CEF CSV time format

yhetti

I am new to splunk and I have inherited a system that forwards log in CEF CSV format.  These logs are then tar'd up and sent to the distant end (which does happen successfully).  The issue I have is when the splunk server picks up the CEF CSV it has epoch time as the first entry of every log in the CEF CSV file.  This makes the next hop/stop aggregator I send to unhappy.

original host (forwarder) -> splunk host -> splunk host -> master aggregator (arcsight type server)

example:

1706735561, "blah blah blah"

the file cef.csv says it's doing "_time","_raw"

When I look at what I think is the setup for time (etc/datetime.xml), _time does not have anything about epoch or %s in there.

How do I configure the CEF CSV to omit the epoch time?

As I mentioned earlier, I am totally new to splunk.  Any help would be fantastic.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. Do you use indexed extractions or not?

2. Do you have time extraction properly configured (TIME_PREFIX, TIME_FORMAT, MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD)?

0 Karma

yhetti

Thank You for replying:

I am totally new to this so I don't have the domain knowledge.

I believe it is indexed extractions.

As far as the extraction configuration it shows _time, _raw

again I am a total noob - I appreciate any assistance. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...