Installation

Splunk Universal forwarder should forward the data to a specific index of Splunk Indexer

sdhiren
Explorer

HI All, I want to forward the log data using Splunk Universal forwarder to a specific index of Splunk Indexer.
I am running UF and Splunk Indexer inside a docker container.

I am able to achieve this by modifying the inputs.conf file of UF after the container is started.

[monitor::///app/logs]
index = logs_data

But, after making this change, I have to RESTART my UF container. 

I want to ensure when my UF starts, it should send the data to "logs_data" index by default (assuming this index is present in the Splunk Indexer)

I tried overriding the default inputs.conf by mounting the locally created inputs.conf to its location

Below is the snippet of how I am creating the UF container

splunkforwarder:
    image: splunk/universalforwarder:8.0
    hostname: splunkforwarder
    environment:
      - SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license --answer-yes
      - SPLUNK_STANDALONE_URL=splunk:9997
      - SPLUNK_ADD=monitor /app/logs
      - SPLUNK_PASSWORD=password
    restart: always
    depends_on:
      splunk:
        condition: service_healthy
    volumes:
      - ./inputs.conf:/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf

But, I am getting some weird error while container is trying to start.

An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback, use -vvv. The error was: OSError: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: b'/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/.ansible_tmpnskbxfddinputs.conf' -> b'/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf'
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {
    "changed": false
}

MSG:

Unable to make /home/splunk/.ansible/tmp/ansible-moduletmp-1710787997.6605148-qhnktiip/tmpvjrugxb1 into to /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf, failed final rename from b'/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/.ansible_tmpnskbxfddinputs.conf': [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: b'/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/.ansible_tmpnskbxfddinputs.conf' -> b'/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf'​

Looks like, some process is trying to access the inputs.conf while its getting overridden. 

Can someone please help me solve this issue?

Thanks
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

KendallW
Path Finder

Are you able to check which process is using the inputs.conf file with lsof?
You may need to stop Splunk, update the file, then start Splunk again. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...