Installation

License Usage

hartfoml
Motivator

I am looking for the search that is used to calculate the indexing volume under the status tab in the search app.

I think the data comes from the index=_internal source="*license_usage.log"

I can't get the math right I am using | eval mb=b/1048576 | stats sum(mb) by h

But this is not giving me the same number at the indexing volume search

Anyone know how they calculate this number??

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Here it is:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=X | eval MB=kb/1024

I found it in the XML for the view, under Manager » User interface » Views » indexing_volume

The X should be one of the group field values

• per_index_thruput
  • per_sourcetype_thruput
  • per_source_thruput
  • per_host_thruput

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Here it is:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=X | eval MB=kb/1024

I found it in the XML for the view, under Manager » User interface » Views » indexing_volume

The X should be one of the group field values

• per_index_thruput
  • per_sourcetype_thruput
  • per_source_thruput
  • per_host_thruput

MarioM
Motivator
index="_internal" source="*metrics*" group=per_index_thruput NOT series="_*" | stats sum(kb) as KB_indexed by date_month ,date_mday,date_year,splunk_server | eventcount summarize=false report_size=true index=* | fields index count server size_bytes | sort - count 

But this is the index size then to get proper license usage the following search would be best:

sum per day per pool for the previous days : index=_internal source=*license_usage* type=RolloverSummary | bucket _time span=1d | stats sum(b) AS volume by _time pool

detail per pool: index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by pool

detail per source type : index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by st useother=false

detail per host: index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by h useother=false

detail per indexer: index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval GB=b/1024/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by i useother=false

hartfoml
Motivator

Thanks for your help Marco and Ms Guinn

his search comes close

| eval MB=b/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(MB) by h

I get 559.109342 with the search above and for the same time period I get 560.3007612295 when I use the indexing_volume view mentioned above

Can you try on your system to see if you can reconcile the difference???

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...