Installation

How long does Splunk 7.3 take to install? Upgrading from 6.6.1

ismams

Just like the title says, I'm updating from 6.6.1 to 7.3 and I'm just curious how long the installation takes.

we only have the one app server, no premium apps. Most things are not even configured so our update process should just be running the one installer on one server.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Upgrade time depends on your platform and server, but it usually takes only a few minutes. On reasonably powerful Linux server, I've been able to complete and upgrade in under 2 minutes and most of that was spent stopping and starting Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ismams

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have mentioned that it's on Windows Server 2012 R2. I knew there was something I was missing when I posted.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It won't be as fast on Windows, but still a quick and easy process.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ismams

Cool, Thanks!

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've always assumed that indexers take longer because there may be a step for the buckets to be checked for conformity to the new version. So, if it looks like it's taking a while don't freak out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...