Installation

How do I determine if my Windows install of Splunk is 32 or 64-bit?

longdogz
Engager

I want to upgrade to the latest version of Splunk, but I don't remember whether I originally installed the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. I'm concerned about installing a different version on top of the previous one, so I wanted to determine which I had installed by looking at something in my installation of Splunk, but couldn't find anything.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

If you have a 32-bit Windows OS, you have to install the 32-bit version of Splunk. If you have a 64-bit Windows OS, you should have installed the 64-bit version of Splunk - the 32-bit version probably won't run and if it did, the performance would be horrible.

But here's where you can find out. Look at the file

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\splunk.version

(or wherever you installed Splunk if not C:\Program Files)

And definitely use 64-bit Splunk in the future, if you aren't already. There are big performance benefits, and Splunk formally recommends a 64-bit OS (of whatever sort) for production systems.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

If you have a 32-bit Windows OS, you have to install the 32-bit version of Splunk. If you have a 64-bit Windows OS, you should have installed the 64-bit version of Splunk - the 32-bit version probably won't run and if it did, the performance would be horrible.

But here's where you can find out. Look at the file

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\splunk.version

(or wherever you installed Splunk if not C:\Program Files)

And definitely use 64-bit Splunk in the future, if you aren't already. There are big performance benefits, and Splunk formally recommends a 64-bit OS (of whatever sort) for production systems.

longdogz
Engager

BTW, at least on my Windows 7 system, the fact it is in Program Files and not "Program Files (x86)" is probably also a clue. That is where mine is and it did have an indication I was already using the 64-bit version. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...