Installation

Capabilities needed to Add Search Head to Cluster

amat
Explorer

I am trying to create a new process to have a service (non-admin) account adding new Search Heads into a cluster. Specifically, need enough capabilities to to have the service account initialize and add a search head to a cluster. I want to avoid giving "admin-all-objects" as its too much privilege and want to adhere to least-priv policy.

I created a new local account and added it to the deployer, SH cluster, and the new SH. I then added capabilities related to SH clustering so that i can have this service account initialize and add SH to a cluster. However, i am getting errors related to permissions.

Capabilities added:

edit_restmap
edit_search_head_clustering
edit_search_server
edit_server
list_search_head_clustering
rest_apps_management
rest_apps_view
rest_properties_get
rest_properties_set
restart_splunkd

Error when trying to initialize SH: 

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk init shcluster-config  <CLUSTER INFO>> 

User 'shcluster_config' with roles { shcluster_config, user-shcluster_config } cannot write: /nobody/system/server { read : [ * ], write : [ admin ] }, removable: no

Anybody know what capability i need to give this service account enough access to add new SHs to a cluster?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer is in the error message.

write : [ admin ]

means only an admin can write to that service.  In this case, admin is least-priv.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

Is there anyway we can add another role to have write to that service?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure admin means admin.  You can try setting individual capabilities in a custom role until you hit upon the right combination if you want, though.

---
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

yes that makes sense. But do you know if its possible if we can change the write permission so it can include another role ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That I don't know.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...