Getting Data In

multiple syslog servers question

boeckelr

Hi everyone,

I have a question about setting up Splunk to record syslog messages from 2 different syslog servers.

I am using the basic Splunk - no extra licenses - and its running on Windows 7 64bit.

Here is my setup:

I have a border router, and its inside IP address is 10.0.0.1.

Behind the border router I have an ASA 5505 for the firewall - its inside IP is 192.168.1.1.

I want to collect the syslog messages from both of these devices. I am using UDP 514 for Syslog on both the router and firewall.

I am able to set up Splunk to listen and record everything that is coming into UDP 514.....which gives me the syslog data for both the router and firewall all mixed together.

I would prefer if I could have Splunk listen for and record syslog for my router.....and separately, listen to and record syslog data from my firewall. That way I could have labels on each - one for the router, and one for the firewall, which would make it easier to distinguish between the router and firewall's syslog messages.

The problem is I cant figure out how to set it up to do this.

About the only thing I can think of is to keep the router's syslog coming from UDP 514, while changing the firewall so it uses a different UDP port for syslog.

IS that the only option that I have? Or is there a more elegant solution out there?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Mike

Tags (2)
0 Karma

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can take the UDP input and separate those formats into separate sourcetypes.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides

This previous answer will probably be helpful to you.

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/6917/different-sourcetypes-for-different-syslog-hosts

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...