Getting Data In

monitor a directory with yesterday date (and avoid monitoring directories with today date..)

mekamundia
Explorer

hi everybody

i have to monitor a server with some directories ordered by date. I have to index automatically every day the folder with yesterday date and I absolutely have to avoid monitoring the folders with today date: in those directories, the server instead append rows to files, again and again erases and rewrites the files, updating them, and forcing Splunk to re-indexing all events. I would tell Splunk to follow a command like this [monitor:///home/folder1/folder2/folder3//.../LOG.txt] but... i don't know how insert a date-variable in "monitor". How I can have a variable in monitor path (or how I can use a workaround to obtain my goal..)?
here a sample of my the directories

///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/2014-12-10/<some other directories and files>/LOG.txt
///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/2014-12-09/<some other directories and files>/LOG.txt
///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/2014-12-08/<some other directories and files>/LOG.txt
///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/2014-12-07/<some other directories and files>/LOG.txt

thanks in advance for help!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

changux
Builder

In my opinion, the best option is solve in linux (or the *NIX that you use):

1.) Create a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY
YESTERDAY=`date --date='yesterday' +%Y-%m-%d`
ln -s /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/$YESTERDAY /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY

2.) Create an input to the YESTERDAY symbolic link:

[monitor:///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY]
disabled = false
followTail = 0
sourcetype = any_sourcetype

3.) Create a cron job that execute the script at 00:01 every day.

1 0 * * * /path/to/script.sh

4.) Restart splunk

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mekamundia
Explorer

thanks a lot !

changux
Builder

In my opinion, the best option is solve in linux (or the *NIX that you use):

1.) Create a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY
YESTERDAY=`date --date='yesterday' +%Y-%m-%d`
ln -s /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/$YESTERDAY /home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY

2.) Create an input to the YESTERDAY symbolic link:

[monitor:///home/folder1/folder2/folder3/YESTERDAY]
disabled = false
followTail = 0
sourcetype = any_sourcetype

3.) Create a cron job that execute the script at 00:01 every day.

1 0 * * * /path/to/script.sh

4.) Restart splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...