Getting Data In

how to change the upload time stamp?

Abilan1
Path Finder

Hi ,

Actually I am having splunk index servers in Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5:00) but some of my application servers are in Hong Kong Time Zone (UTC+ 08:00). so now if I see the data in splunk it's all are in Eastern Time zone. I wanted to change the time stamp to Hong Kong Time zone only for these servers.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

To change this you can add several host= stanzas inside props.conf with TZ=Hongkong for those particular servers and either deploy them to the Forwarders or the Indexers and restart the Splunk instances there. This will effect only events indexed after the restart. You can purge the wrong events from the Indexers, clean the fishbucket on the Forwarders and then they will resend the events.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No data can be changed once it's been indexed, including timestamps. Having all events in a common time zone makes it far easier to correlate them without any confusing mental math. One could probably come up with a sequence of eval statements to convert Hong Kong times back to that time zone, but that might be confusing and would not work for users in other time zones.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...