Getting Data In

Will the HTTP Event Collector respond with any error if it can't keep up with event volume?

sandeep23
Engager

I am planning to use HEC on heavy forwarder(s) which will forward to the indexer(s).

My question: Is HEC designed to return any error(s) to the sender if it can't keep up with volume of input? Does in-memory input queue configuration have any impact on response?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ineeman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes - if we fail to enqueue events into the queues (in memory or persistent) we will give you back an error (and a 502 response code) to say the service is too busy to handle requests.

View solution in original post

ineeman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes - if we fail to enqueue events into the queues (in memory or persistent) we will give you back an error (and a 502 response code) to say the service is too busy to handle requests.

gaarti

@ineeman
How should we make sure that we don't hit this issue? I keep getting this 503 Server busy error when I have seen a large volume of events getting posted to HEC.

Thanks much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...