Getting Data In

Why is my inputs.conf monitor stanza with multiple wildcards not picking up anything?

splunkok

I'm trying to index all the files marked with a [Y] in the directory structure below.

[Y] - /tmp/test.log
[Y] - /tmp/logs/test.log
[Y] - /tmp/logs/test.log.20160218
[N] - /tmp/logs/test.log.20160218.gz
[N] - /tmp/logs/test.log.20160218.out
[N] - /tmp/logs/test.log20160218
[N] - /tmp/logs/test.log20160218.gz

My monitor stanza in inputs.conf is as follows:

[monitor:///tmp/*/test.(log|log\.[0-9]+)]
index = splunkprod
sourcetype = testdata
ignoreOlderThan = 5d

However, it does not pick up anything. Does anybody know why? Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The stanza name ("monitor:...") cannot contain regular expressions, only wildcards.

Also, the path specified in inputs.conf doesn't match your example files - the examples don't start with 'xfer'.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

splunkok

The /xfer in the monitor path was a typo. Updated the question.

Per http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Specifyinputpathswithwildcards under Wildcards and regular expression metacharacters, it states that:

[monitor://var/.../log[A-Z0-9].log]
Splunk Enterprise treats [A-Z0-9]
as a regex because of the wildcard '...' in the previous stanza segment.

I would expect it to consider it as a regex as the "..." wildcard is present. Is the documentation not accurate?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The very first line on this document say "Input path specifications in inputs.conf do not use regular expressions (regexes) but rather Splunk-defined wildcards. " and the second section specifies that it supports "Wildcards and regular expression metacharacters". For the section you're referring, Splunk is treating [A-Z0-9]as regular expression metacharacters if a wildcard (asterisk *) is used in the monitoring path.

0 Karma

splunkok

Ah, thanks. I missed that.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try like this

[monitor:///temp]
recursive = true
index = splunkprod
sourcetype = testdata
ignoreOlderThan = 5d
whitelist = (test\.log$|test\.log\.\d+$)
0 Karma

splunkok

If the directory /tmp has a lot of files and subdirectories, are there any performance implications to monitoring /tmp with a whitelist? Does it initially generate a list of all files and folders in that directory and then prunes it using the whitelist?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes, more the wildcards, more number of files Splunk has to keep track of. The whitelist/blacklist makes things easy little bit. If there are too many files folders under /tmp, I would suggest to split the monitoring into two part, 1 for specific file(s) under /tmp and other for all files under /tmp/logs.

0 Karma

splunkok

If I were to split the monitoring up, can I still redirect them to the same sourcetype?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes, you can. As long as the monitoring stanza ([monitor://.....])differs, you can create multiple stanzas with same index/sourcetype/whitelist etc.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...