Getting Data In

Why can't Universal Forwarders run?

hhhwang
Explorer

KakaoTalk_20220822_102553380_02.jpg

The universal forwarder was used well, but one day it suddenly stopped and no longer runs. Why is this happening?

The execution environment is as follows:

Windows7 32bit

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hhhwang,

which is the Splunk UF version?

Probably it's an old version and the certificate is expired.

For more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.0/Security/ConfigureandinstallcertificatesforLogObs...

In few words:

In Windows run :

C:\Program Files\splunk\bin> openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in "C:\Program Files\splunk\etc\auth\server.pem

In Linux run:

openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem

If it has been expired then rename /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem to server.pem.back and restart splunkd.

./splunk restart

This will regenerate the server.pem file and renew the certificate.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

hhhwang
Explorer

Thanks, gcusello.

Splunk UF version is 6.4.10.

I'll try to solve it in the way you told me.

But it's been about a month since I installed it, so can I know why the certificate has expired?

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

Latest Splunk Universal Forward agent is 9.0 at the time of writing.

Do an upgrade and see if you still have problem.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hhhwang,

I see that it's a very old version of Splunk UF, but probably you're using it on a very old Windows version, is this the latest certified version of UF for that Windows?

In addition, I'm not sure that UF 6.4.10 is compatible with the latest Splunk versions.

I hint to open a case to Splunk Support to identify the correct UF version to use.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...