Getting Data In

What is the difference between splunk forwarder and syslog diversion to index?

rageshkg

Hi ,

I would like to know the difference between Splunk forwarder and syslog diversion to indexer .

I use Linux and I would like to know the benefits of going with the forwarder .

Best Regards,
Ragesh

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Syslog will allow you to collect logs which your linux host is managing via syslog.
Any additional log locations will need to be configured on the linux host in question - and syslog can get a bit complex if it is monitoring large numbers of files.

A Splunk forwarder can collect any number of files from the system (permissions dependant) including the messages file which you are probably already collecting via syslog, but with the benefit you can manage which files get indexed from a central location.

When you have more than a few hosts, this is a significant benefit.

Additionally - Logs sent by a uf will survive network interruptions, reboots (client or server) ans allow you to easily configure limits, loadbalancing and failover. Conversely, syslog messages sent whist the server is rebooting, or down are lost!

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...