Getting Data In

What is the best way to fork events into a new sourcetype that will eventually become the only sourcetype?

thisissplunk
Builder

Basically, I want to have ONE log file populating TWO sourcetypes at the same time. Identical events in both. Eventually, I'll kill off the old sourcetype and only have the events going into the sourcetype with the new name.

I'm doing this because I want to check parity and catch bugs or other issues for the new sourcetype. What is the best approach for this?

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So to clarify, you are indexing one log file, twice, as two different sourcetypes.

If you are indexing the same file twice, what kind of differences are you expecting to catch?

In the end, you just drop the monitor / input for the sourcetype you want to get rid of.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...