Getting Data In

Using Splunk to help define required Cisco ASA rules

gestaltnetworks

Hello folks,

Is Splunk able to help me generate rules to put on an ASA?

We're running an ASA in transparent mode with a single allow rule, logging all traffic seen through to Splunk. The plan is to take that data generated and build the ruleset for the firewall based on a ratified version of the data. I was thinking of first running a report that does a summary of all destination addresses, sorted by number of occurrences, and then for each of the results, a further report to show me the ports that were connected to on those IP's. Which I can see working just fine.

So, my question really is: Is there a slicker and quicker way of generating this data? I've toyed with writing a Python script to chew through the logs, but I'd rather have it all centralised in Splunk.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

Best, Leigh

0 Karma

NuHarborMatt

Hi Leigh,

It sounds like you would be heavily interested in the splunk add on for cisco asa. I think it can get you pretty far as what you are interested in. I included the link below from splunkbase.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1620/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...