Getting Data In

Transformations and props behavior

cmlombardo
Path Finder

I would like to understand better how transformations work, in terms of priority and data flow.

Let's say I have 3 transformations in place, that I want to apply to a sourcetype (e.g. "test"):

[tr1]

[tr2]

[tr3]

Can somebody explain to me what the difference is (if any) between these 2 props.conf:

----1----

[test]
TRANSFORMS-1=tr1
TRANSFORMS-2=tr2
TRANSFORMS-3=tr3

---2----

[test]
TRANSFORMS-1=tr1,tr2,tr3

Is the resulting data transformation the same on both cases?

Thank you!

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I understand it, transforms listed separately are processed in lexicographical order whereas those listed in a single TRANSFORMS setting are processed in the order given.

IOW, this

[test]
TRANSFORMS-3=tr3
TRANSFORMS-1=tr1
TRANSFORMS-2=tr2

is the same as this

[test]
TRANSFORMS-1=tr1
TRANSFORMS-2=tr2
TRANSFORMS-3=tr3

But this

TRANSFORMS-1=tr3,tr1,tr2

will process the transforms in the listed order.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

cmlombardo
Path Finder

So, if they are processed in lexicographical order, then the result should be the same once the data passes through my 2 transformation examples.

Best practice, as I understand it, is to list the transformations in the second form

TRANFORMS=tr1,tr2,tr3

so that there is no doubt on the order they are processed.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @cmlombardo ,

the order of transformation is relevant!

only for example, if you read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_... , if you want to keep some events and discard the rest, you have to executebefore the transofrmation on all the events (regex=.) and then the tranformation of a part of data, if you change the order, the tranformation doesn't work.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not necessarily true that the data will be the same after each example.  In some (many/most?) cases, the order of transformations could be significant and is why I recommend using the second format.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

cmlombardo
Path Finder

In the example, the lexicographic order will process the transformations in the same order, as TRANSFORMS-1 comes before TRANSFORMS-2 (and so on).

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cmlombardo,

I'm not sure (someone else could contradict me!) but they should be the same thing.

Anyway, I prefer the second solution to be more sure about the sequence of transformation application.

because the execution sequence could be important.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...