Getting Data In

Splunk search for NOT IN

asarolkar
Builder

I have two sourcetypes A and B with column names Serial and SN respectively

To find where there is like a column name match in both A and B ->
(sourcetype=A Serial=) OR (sourcetype=B SN=) | search where Serial=SN

How do I write a query such that -> For every Serial (in A) - there are no matches to SN

Tags (2)

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can achieve this with a NOT on a subsearch , equivalent to SQL "NOT IN".

Follow this link and scroll down to the "Use subsearch to correlate data" section:

sourcetype=A NOT [search sourcetype=B | rename SN as Serial | fields Serial ]

joxley
Path Finder

Be aware that if your subsearch starts with a generating command, you must exclude the search keyword:

e.g.

sourcetype=A NOT [ inputlookup my_lookup | rename SN as Serial | fields Serial ]
0 Karma

reed_kelly
Contributor

One way to do it is to use a join on Serial and SN and then count the unique sourcetypes and look for results with 1 sourcetype of the kind you want. This may not be the most efficient way, but here goes:

sourcetype=A Serial=*|rename Serial as SN|join SN [search sourcetype=B SN=*]|stats first(_time) by SN,sourcetype|stats dc(sourcetype) as numst,min(sourcetype) as minst by SN|where numst==1 AND minst==A

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...