Getting Data In

Splunk not indexing data

Sheela
Path Finder

I have a Splunk indexer which hasn't been indexing logs from the past 3-4 days. I'm trying to troubleshoot and have gone through the usual checklist of items that I found by researching splunkbase. The most common reason, of course is disk being full. I have over 50% of the disk free. Second, I haven't configured my indexer as a forwarder. All the logs that I'm indexing are on the same box as the indexer. After reviewing splunkd.log, these are the only two things that stood out-

02-04-2012 10:58:48.643 WARN DateParserVerbose - The TIME_FORMAT specified is matching timestamps (Mon Oct 29 09:24:24 2012) outside of the acceptable time window. If this timestamp is correct, consider adjusting MAX_DAYS_AGO and MAX_DAYS_HENCE.

So just to debug the issue, in props.conf, I set:
MAX_DAYS_HENCE=2000
MAX_DAYS_AGO=10951
(And restarted Splunk) because I thought Splunk was trying to index logs in the future.
That didn't work either.

This the other error message:

02-06-2012 05:11:34.353 INFO TailingProcessor - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...
02-06-2012 05:11:34.353 INFO TailingProcessor - ...continuing.

Could someone please tell me firstly, does the DateParserVerbose Warning have anything to do with Splunk not indexing data AT ALL? Secondly, please tell me how I can resolve this.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Tags (1)

Brian_Osburn
Builder

Have you tried searching for "All Time" in the drop down selector?

Can you post a snippet of the log format so we can get the props.conf set correctly if that's the case..

Brian

Sheela
Path Finder

This was my bad. I apologize, this is a syslog issue. Thanks so much for your help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...