Getting Data In

Splunk alert and shutting down a physical port on a switch

pzharyuk

Have anyone used Splunk to act upon an alert and shut down a physical port on the switch? This would require running a scrip when an alert is triggered. I just want to reach out to the community and see if something like has been done already.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi pzharyuk,

You can do such a thing, and also can find examples in the docs here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/ModAlertsIntro

Just make sure the script and the alert are bullet proof before you use them in Splunk; you don't want to get false positives on the alert and make the script shutdown your core router interfaces for example.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

pzharyuk

Oh yea, I will definitely make sure of that. The idea is to act upon an IPS alert, I was able to pull physical port/ap that the user is connected to using Cisco Prime API's, I want to correlate that data with IPS data which I can use to have Splunk trigger a script to disable the port of a critically infected user machine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...