Getting Data In

Setting a maximum limit on a monitored file

genemats
Engager

We just had an application bug that spewed millions of duplicate messages into a Splunk monitored logfile. This caused a license violation to be triggered, before anyone could do anything about it.

In order to prevent this type of violation from happening we are considering putting a hard limit on the maximum logfile size Splunk can index. Most of our logfiles are normally apx < 300MB daily. So if we have a logfile that has > 500MB, we want to ignore anything else that is logged to the file after 500MB.

Is it possible to put such a hard byte limit on a monitored logfile or input source?

I've seen some answers that suggested putting a maxKBps datatransfer per second limit (in limits.conf), this one option, but perhaps some other option in Splunk could be used as well?

Tags (4)

tony_luu
Path Finder

same question here.

0 Karma

krish3
Contributor

Hi,

I have same situation i need to know is there a option for setting limit on a individual source or sourcetype??

thanks.

0 Karma

svarun

Any updates here? I am facing the same issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for website metadata verification

If you are on Splunk observability cloud , you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...