Getting Data In

Python Script Optimization

a_m_s
Explorer

To all the python masters out there :: Python Execution Time Optimization using multi-threading.

I have a python script which takes a list of 1000 IP from a file and does port monitoring 3389 and 22 respectively using the os module of python . It is taking as of now 40 minutes to run.

The requirement is to run the same scripted input within 10 minutes.

I have tried multi threading but the output is not sequential so I am not able to ingest...

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

Zane
Explorer

Can we consider using socket packages and using the correct "try except" and timeout for filtering, which may be faster? Alternatively, asynchrony can be used, but most importantly, each event must have a timestamp

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. It's not really a Splunk question - it's about your Python scripting.

2. What do you mean by "the output is not sequential so I'm not able to ingest"? You have timestamps on the events so Splunk should be able to line up the events properly.

3. You can't beat maths. You do the checks sequentially, have some percentage of "dead" hosts and have relatively long default TCP SYN timeout - it's bound to take some time. You could try adjusting your timeouts to make it fail faster.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...