Getting Data In

Looking at timestamps over 1 year old

rescobar713
Path Finder

I'm trying to only look at events that were modified over 1 year ago. I have a timestamp field called last_modified that I believe is in the form of a string (e.g. "1/1/2014"). How would I go about finding the difference between the current date and the last_modified date, and then filtering out all events for which that difference is less than 1 year? I've tried using the strptime function to convert the last_modifiedstring to epoch time and then doing arithmetic with that and now(), but strptimedidn't seem to work with last_modified.

last_modifiedis a value I retrieved from a lookup table that stores timestamps in epoch time, so it seems that it was converted to a human-readable string when the lookup was done. But I'm not sure why strptime isn't working.

Any advice?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are on the right track but probably are using a bad strptime string. It should be like this:

... | eval last_modified_epoch=strptime(last_modified, "%m/%d/%Y") | eval modAgeSeconds = now() - last_modified_epoch | where modAgeSeconds > 31536000

Make sure that your timepicker is REALLY long (like maybe "All time").

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps you just need to tweak your strptime format string. A sample of your year-old events will help.
Does last_modified match _time? If so, you can use latest=-12m@m.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are on the right track but probably are using a bad strptime string. It should be like this:

... | eval last_modified_epoch=strptime(last_modified, "%m/%d/%Y") | eval modAgeSeconds = now() - last_modified_epoch | where modAgeSeconds > 31536000

Make sure that your timepicker is REALLY long (like maybe "All time").

rescobar713
Path Finder

This worked perfectly! Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...