Getting Data In

Indexqueue blocked on Heavy Forwarder

cmlombardo
Path Finder

I know there are similar posts about this, but I am not sure on what to do or tweak here.

Messages I am getting are similar to this:
01-05-2024 09:35:07.049 -0800 INFO Metrics - group=queue, ingest_pipe=1, name=indexqueue, blocked=true, max_size_kb=500, current_size_kb=499, current_size=815, largest_size=1764, smallest_size=0

I already set

parallelIngestionPipelines
 = 2

Also, there is no indication of resource exhaustion on these Heavy Forwarders. CPU is constantly below 25% and RAM is low as well.

What else can I check/do/configure to avoid this?
Also, what happens to the data when this happens?

Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

cmlombardo
Path Finder

Thank you for your comments. I had the feeling this might be a problem upstream but I wanted to make sure.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Queues become blocked when the corresponding pipeline is too slow to keep up with incoming data.  In this case, the index pipeline is unable to send data out as fast as it's coming in.  Verify the HF's destinations are all up, listening, and reachable.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

when indexqueue has blocked on HF (or other instances) you should tart to looking from next host which is receiving those events. Quite often the real issue (if there is any issue) are found from it. Just use MC to look how those queues and pipelines are working on it. Usually it’s not an issue, if those queue is locked time by time. 
r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...