Getting Data In

How to parse JSON array using spath or any other option

swatijha

Below is the log:

qCode="SOME_CODE",
qValue="[{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"2","day":"Monday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"3","day":"Tuesday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"4","day":"Wednesday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"5","day":"Thursday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"6","day":"Friday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"09:00","dayEnd":"17:00","dayOfWeek":"7","day":"Saturday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":null,"dayEnd":null,"dayOfWeek":"1","day":"Sunday"}]"

from which I have to show dayStart and dayEnd values. I have tried following query:

index=myindex | spath | rename
{}.{}.dayStart as value | table value

but this is not working. Is there a way that I can get values form JSON array?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

I would classify any JSON or KeyValue data could be done
- Before Indexing
- After Indexing

I prefer before indexing, as JSON is KV and when you display the data you get in "Interesting field section" automatically. Inorder to do that, just put in props.conf something like below

# props.conf   
[SPECIAL_EVENT]
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
TIME_PREFIX = "timestamp"  # or identify the tag within your JSON data
pulldown_type = 1
KV_MODE = JSON
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = (^{)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=myindex | spath input=qValue | rename {}.* AS * | table dayStart dayEnd

swatijha

Thank you so much for your comment.
Your solution works if field value is without double quotes. Like:
qValue=[{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"2","day":"Monday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"3","day":"Tuesday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"4","day":"Wednesday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"5","day":"Thursday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"08:00","dayEnd":"18:00","dayOfWeek":"6","day":"Friday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":"09:00","dayEnd":"17:00","dayOfWeek":"7","day":"Saturday"},{"id":null,"dayStart":null,"dayEnd":null,"dayOfWeek":"1","day":"Sunday"}]
Not sure if there is a solution when we have json in double quotes.

Also we have few logs where field value starts with [[{ instead of [{. In that case given solution does not work. Would really appreciated you can suggest some pointers for that as well.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can easily remove the double-quotes like this:

index=myindex | rex field=qValue mode=sed "s/\"//g" | spath input=qValue | rename {}.* AS * | table dayStart dayEnd

If that works, please "Accept" the answer and if there is another question, then please ask a new question.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...