Getting Data In

How to extract timezone in json?

paxtaru
Explorer

We have a log that we've been asked to ingest which is a json format file that's similar to this:

{"type":"appRequest",
    "severity":"INFO",
    "eventid":"abcdefg1234567",
    "userid":76965813945444,
    "timezone":7,
    "timestamp":"2019-10-30T23:57:59.958Z",
    "logLevel":"INFO",
    "url":"/some/url",
    "diagnosticsEventId":"someEventId",
    "startTime":1572479879958,
    "logDetails":"200,OK"}

As you can see, the timezone is specified in a field instead of built into the timestamp string. I've look around to no avail, is there a way to specify the event timezone based on the timezone (this is offset to GMT in hours)?

0 Karma
1 Solution

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

The timestamp is of GMT format(Z at the end indicates time is GMT). Assuming that the source has actually put in the timestamp in GMT and not just stamped the local time with the GMT format, you could just ingest it as GMT. Based on the timezone set in your profile, Splunk would convert the timestamp to your local timestamp.

EDIT: I just converted the startTime field in https://www.epochconverter.com/ and it looks like the timestamp is actual GMT and not just local time stamped in GMT format.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

paxtaru
Explorer

Thank you. It's a misunderstanding on my part. I will confirm with our developer as well just to make sure.

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

The timestamp is of GMT format(Z at the end indicates time is GMT). Assuming that the source has actually put in the timestamp in GMT and not just stamped the local time with the GMT format, you could just ingest it as GMT. Based on the timezone set in your profile, Splunk would convert the timestamp to your local timestamp.

EDIT: I just converted the startTime field in https://www.epochconverter.com/ and it looks like the timestamp is actual GMT and not just local time stamped in GMT format.

0 Karma

Labbemiche
Engager

I have this issue as well but without the benefit of logs in GMT. My logs are multiple time zones in a single host, index, source, sourcetype combo. Here's an example:

{ [-]
   AppID:
   ElapsedSeconds: 0.694 seconds
   Event: RestCall
   Method: POST
   Request: { [+]
   }
   RequestLength: 371
   RequestTimestamp: 16-Nov-2022 12:59:54
   Response: { [+]
   }
   ResponseLength: 286
   ResponseTimestamp: 16-Nov-2022 12:59:55
   SequenceNumber: null
   ServiceName:
   ServiceURL: 
   StatusCode: 200
   StatusText: OK
   TimeZone: Asia/Shanghai
   UserID:
   UserIP: 127.0.0.1
   UserName: 
}

In total there are about 85 different timezones logging here. Any idea how to get Splunk to recognize the timezone when not with the time stamp? 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...