Getting Data In

How to configure props.conf and transforms.conf to only whitelist events that start with a timestamp and have a LogLevel?

Norling80
Path Finder

Hi

We have a very volatile log source which we today control by sending unwanted events to the nullQueue. This is good, but not 100% waterproof and reliable due to the nature of the log source.

Is there a way to achieve the same behavior, but instead whitelist events? Basically, we only want to index events that starts with a timestamp and has a LogLevel, examples below:

2015-10-21 12:10:05,786 +0200 INFO .... "the rest of the event..."
2015-10-21 12:10:05,786 +0200 WARNING .... "the rest of the event..."
2015-10-21 12:10:05,786 +0200 ERROR .... "the rest of the event..."
2015-10-21 12:10:05,786 +0200 SEVERE .... "the rest of the event..."

cheers
Magnus

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, you do this by first sending ALL events to nullQueue and then pull back just the events that you like. NOTE: I did not test this RegEx.

In props.conf:

[YourSourceTypeHere]
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull,setparsing

In transforms.conf:

[setnull]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[setparsing]
REGEX = ^\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2} \d{1-2}:\d{2}:\d{2},\d{3}\s+(?:[+\-0-9]*\s+)?(INFO|WARNING|ERROR|SEVERE)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...