Getting Data In

How to configure load balancing on a heavy forwarder?

nce054
Path Finder

I am configuring a Heavy Forwarder to point to 3 indexers. I want load balancing to be enabled. Are the individual tcpout-server stanzas interfering with the load balancing? Are they even necessary?

[tcpout]
disabled = false
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group
indexAndForward = 1
[tcpout-server://server1:9997]
[tcpout-server://server2:9997]
[tcpout-server://server3:9997]

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
disabled = false
autoLB = true
autoLBFrequency = 7
server = server1:9997,server2:9997,server3:9997
0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The tcpout-server stanzas are redundant, given that you have a routing group configured. What's the reason you set autoLBFrequency to just 7 seconds? There's going to be a lot of connection establishment/teardown going on. Just curious.

0 Karma

nce054
Path Finder

I borrowed this setup from someone else, I did not understand what the attribute meant. What would be an advisable period?

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, the forwarders will switch to a different indexer (randomly) every 30 seconds, or when EOF is reached on a monitored file. There are situations where you want to tune that, specifically if you notice an uneven event distribution across your three indexers.
Having a good distribution of events across your indexing tier is ensuring optimal search performance.
Take a look here for more details on each of the outputs.conf settings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...