Getting Data In

How to configure Splunk to read a csv file sent from a forwarder?

chadman
Path Finder

Hello! I'm new to Splunk and trying to setup a proof of how Splunk could read log files from an application I wrote that monitors system health. Currently this application stores log files in a csv format locally on the workstation. I'm trying to get Splunk forwarder to send the csv files to our Splunk indexer and read these files. How can I have Splunk see the csv format when I do my searches? Here is what I have done, but it's not working. Can I even use wildcards like I have done below? I have these setup on the Splunk server.
Props.conf
[logs_csv]
source=c:\Program Files\EJSysCheck\Logs*
sourcetype = *_EJLog

[logs_csv]
DELIMS=","
FEILDS="Date","Eth1 IP","Eth1 Status","Wireless IP","Wireless Status","TunnelIP","Tunnel Status","Jorp","Idle Time","Lock Status","Available Disk Space Gigs","Available Memory Megs","System Uptime","CPU","RA Image","Tunnel Connection","Ping Google","Time to Ping Google","Ping Internal","Time to Ping Internal"

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

It seems you've got the syntax wrong for the conf files. source and sourcetype aren't valid configuration directives in props.conf.

You can't have the indexer read a CSV from a remote workstation. The only way to get the CSV into Splunk, using Splunk's own mechanisms, is by adding a file monitor for it on the forwarder which will then forward it to the indexer which in turn will index that data.

0 Karma

chadman
Path Finder

Ayn, Thanks! I do have the forwarder working and it's sending data to the indexer. When I do a search each event shows up as a long csv string instead of breaking it up into fields. I'm trying to setup the indexer to break up the csv files that start with *_EJLog in a

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...