Getting Data In

How to Route Events to New Index Based on Original Index Name?

beaunewcomb
Communicator

We are, unfortunately, having to change index names to match a naming convention.  I have a list of indexes that need to be "renamed" ... for routing to the new indexes, rather than track down all the configs which are managed with DS, chef, and other tools, I would like use props\transforms on the HWF's and IDX's to look at every event, and if it was destined for index foo, send it to index foo.  

Here is what I have on a single Splunk instance, in system/local (for simplicity and testing the config):

props:

[default]
TRANSFORMS-foo_idx_rename= foo_idx_rename

transforms:

[foo_idx_rename]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Index
REGEX = (foo)
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = bar

I've tried:

REGEX = foo

REGEX = "foo"

REGEX = "*foo*"

REGEX = index::foo

Nothing I've tried seems to work.

Questions I have:

What is the actual value that the regex needs to evaluate for the index metadata field? (ie-  index::foo or just foo)
Are double quotes required in the regex?  Must there be ()'s?

I've seen a couple examples that say they work, but when I copy them verbatim, they do not.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...